Monday, May 24, 2010

Paradise City


One of the biggest thrills in my otherwise mundane life is the short walk from my car to my apartment building. I often get home late, so that adds to the excitement of being offered crack by a dealer who could probably get away with robbing me if he really wanted to. Obviously, this is an unsafe risk, but it's risks that makes my heart pound and my fists clench.

Everything else in my life – aside from that short walk – is safe, comfortable and familiar. Those feelings aren’t something I particularly enjoy. I want things to be unexpected, occasionally outside of my comfort zone, with just a hint of actual danger. I’m too young to be getting soft and travel might help me fight this feeling. There are so many places in the world I absolutely have to see, and not going to these countries is unfathomable. The only thing holding me back is time and money. Fortunately, I’m fairly clever. I can make it happen. Maybe. 
Bagan, Myanmaar: Two mind-boggling numbers stand out for this archeological park: 26 square miles and 2,200 temples and pagodas. Nestled within this historic place are massive temples, which are fine to me, but it’s the thousands of obscure ones that appeal to me. Renting a bike or a motorcycle and doing some Tomb Raider-like exploration would be a dream. Maybe seeing all the temples will jog my memory with what I learned from taking a course in Southeast Asian arts.


New Zealand: Almost everything I know about New Zealand comes from Flight of the Conchords and Peter Jackson’s earlier films, so I can’t really name any particular locations or attractions that appeal to me. In the case of New Zealand, I think it’s just the total package. Unspoiled wilderness in the middle of nowhere, friendly people that speak English and the fairly affordable living expenses all sweeten the deal.



North Korea: There is a huge, huge asterisk next to this because I will never, ever visit the country with the restrictions place on tourists. Two government tour guides are needed at all times, and with such a limited look at the country, most of the money goes back to the rulers. No thank you.

But if the country were to suddenly open up…wow. The poverty is unimaginable, but this is one of the last countries unexplored by Westerners. The mountains sound incredible. The wilderness, which hasn’t fallen victim to overpopulation, is another selling point. I’m looking for something unfamiliar, and it doesn’t get more unfamiliar than North Korea. Let me in, Kim Jong-il. Oh, and stop being awful.
Cardiff, Wales: This is a pretty random choice. The capital of Wales is safe, well-maintained and a bit on the dull side. Still, there’s something that just appeals to me. Maybe it’s because I’ve never been to Western Europe (aside from a few days in Berlin), so it’d be a new experience for me. I suspect the bigger reason is because of my fascination with the show Doctor Who and its spinoff, Torchwood. Both are filmed in the area and prominently feature landmarks into the storyline, so I almost feel like I’ve been there before. As European currency tumbles and my E.U. citizen being just a few forms a way, I really don’t have an excuse not to visit, aside from being poor. I use that excuse often.

Angkor Wat, Cambodia: For one full day, two companions and I navigated the temples with amazing precision and efficiency (that could have something to do with the fact that one of my travel buddies is German). I was consistently in awe at the diversity and grandeur of each temple. We saw all the big temples, but a dozen or so smaller ones were too far away to see in one day. We were exhausted, but when we arrived at our $10 hotel room we were satisfied. I don't feel that way any longer.

Looking back, it’s ridiculous to only spend one day in one of the most glorious places created by man. Our hands were tied since we had class in Bangkok the next day, but I’ve felt the strong urge to go back ever since. Maybe spend a week there, slowly exploring each temple while reading one of my art textbooks.

26 comments:

St0623evenT_Rossiter said...

999無瑪試看圖uu 視訊高雄情人援交 免費成人影片,日本美女寫真集 情色影片 亞洲禁果影城貼片 520sex免費視訊 日本av女優,免費性短片欣賞 aa免費線上85cc電影直播 免費視訊美女-殺很大 聊天室交友 淫美論壇 a383l影音城 一本道 a片 東京熱成人圖片區 情色avdvd貼片 台南援交月光論壇 UT視訊交友85cc影城 85x1x成人影院 gay壞朋友 ut正妹 聊天室 高中生援交 視訊0204movie免費影片 34c影音視訊聊天室 美女交友-免費視訊 制服妹影片 免費av18禁 080 中部人聊天室 上班族俱樂部 utobe 影片分享 sexy girl辣妹妹影音視訊 嘟嘟貼圖區av影片下載 557557視訊聊天 免費線上成人影片bonbonsex s383視訊 找援交小二館遊戲區免費av kk俱樂部 c字庫-視訊美女 免費h影片,成人影片分享 kiss 影音視訊聊天室 520sex成人視訊 本土自拍貼圖區sex hi5 tv免費影片百分百貼圖區 1007視訊聊天 sogo 色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網影片 美女交友-視訊聊天 a漫hilive tv免費電影 豆豆情色視訊aio aaa 片試看 視訊豆豆情色080 qq美美色網影片,彩虹頻道免費影片 kk69視訊俱樂部

ElwoodK_Rank佳玲 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債..................................................

esthermelvin said...

量力而為,別勉強了,Cut your coat according to your cloth. ....................................................

RochelleP_Higginson瓊文 said...

A liar is not believed when he speaks the truth...................................................

誠紋 said...

Many a true word is spoken in jest...................................................................

LatoshaDelapena0209嘉瑜 said...

愛情不是慈善事業,不能隨便施捨。..................................................................

曉薇 said...

你真的很棒~謝謝分享囉~......................................................................

貴寶 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。......................................................................

江婷 said...

閒來無聊逛逛blog~~跟您打聲招呼~~.................................................................

玉苓玉苓 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債............................................................

ju吳phe宇te佳ns said...

安安!剛開始玩這個,來這裡逛一下^^............................................................

柏強 said...

你的分享很不錯.. 謝謝 ..................................................................

溫緯李娟王季 said...

Quietude is the crown of life.............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

世間唯一永恆的,就是改變..................................................

文辰文辰 said...

人生之中,比冒險更危險的一件事:不去冒險。..................................................

張怡 said...

如果,人類也像鼠輩一般,花很多時間來吃飯和睡覺,一定會改善健康。 ............................................................

方偉白方偉白 said...

有趣有趣~還ok的啦(。・`ω´・)......................................................

王李秀樺姵君 said...

喜歡自己的另一層意義是「接納自己」。..................................................

黃書豪黃書豪黃書豪 said...

take care yourself!! ^^............................................................

515152 said...

來看你囉~加油~~!!............................................................

文王廷 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。............................................................

佳陳容 said...

想別人怎樣對你,你便怎樣對待別人。......................................................

姿法岳昌邦吟 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

孫邦柔 said...

keep update, please..bless you!!............................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

一個人的際遇在第一次總是最深刻的,有時候甚至會讓人的心變成永遠的絕緣。......................................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

加油-不論如何都期待您的新發表!..................................................................