Monday, May 24, 2010

Paradise City


One of the biggest thrills in my otherwise mundane life is the short walk from my car to my apartment building. I often get home late, so that adds to the excitement of being offered crack by a dealer who could probably get away with robbing me if he really wanted to. Obviously, this is an unsafe risk, but it's risks that makes my heart pound and my fists clench.

Everything else in my life – aside from that short walk – is safe, comfortable and familiar. Those feelings aren’t something I particularly enjoy. I want things to be unexpected, occasionally outside of my comfort zone, with just a hint of actual danger. I’m too young to be getting soft and travel might help me fight this feeling. There are so many places in the world I absolutely have to see, and not going to these countries is unfathomable. The only thing holding me back is time and money. Fortunately, I’m fairly clever. I can make it happen. Maybe. 
Bagan, Myanmaar: Two mind-boggling numbers stand out for this archeological park: 26 square miles and 2,200 temples and pagodas. Nestled within this historic place are massive temples, which are fine to me, but it’s the thousands of obscure ones that appeal to me. Renting a bike or a motorcycle and doing some Tomb Raider-like exploration would be a dream. Maybe seeing all the temples will jog my memory with what I learned from taking a course in Southeast Asian arts.


New Zealand: Almost everything I know about New Zealand comes from Flight of the Conchords and Peter Jackson’s earlier films, so I can’t really name any particular locations or attractions that appeal to me. In the case of New Zealand, I think it’s just the total package. Unspoiled wilderness in the middle of nowhere, friendly people that speak English and the fairly affordable living expenses all sweeten the deal.



North Korea: There is a huge, huge asterisk next to this because I will never, ever visit the country with the restrictions place on tourists. Two government tour guides are needed at all times, and with such a limited look at the country, most of the money goes back to the rulers. No thank you.

But if the country were to suddenly open up…wow. The poverty is unimaginable, but this is one of the last countries unexplored by Westerners. The mountains sound incredible. The wilderness, which hasn’t fallen victim to overpopulation, is another selling point. I’m looking for something unfamiliar, and it doesn’t get more unfamiliar than North Korea. Let me in, Kim Jong-il. Oh, and stop being awful.
Cardiff, Wales: This is a pretty random choice. The capital of Wales is safe, well-maintained and a bit on the dull side. Still, there’s something that just appeals to me. Maybe it’s because I’ve never been to Western Europe (aside from a few days in Berlin), so it’d be a new experience for me. I suspect the bigger reason is because of my fascination with the show Doctor Who and its spinoff, Torchwood. Both are filmed in the area and prominently feature landmarks into the storyline, so I almost feel like I’ve been there before. As European currency tumbles and my E.U. citizen being just a few forms a way, I really don’t have an excuse not to visit, aside from being poor. I use that excuse often.

Angkor Wat, Cambodia: For one full day, two companions and I navigated the temples with amazing precision and efficiency (that could have something to do with the fact that one of my travel buddies is German). I was consistently in awe at the diversity and grandeur of each temple. We saw all the big temples, but a dozen or so smaller ones were too far away to see in one day. We were exhausted, but when we arrived at our $10 hotel room we were satisfied. I don't feel that way any longer.

Looking back, it’s ridiculous to only spend one day in one of the most glorious places created by man. Our hands were tied since we had class in Bangkok the next day, but I’ve felt the strong urge to go back ever since. Maybe spend a week there, slowly exploring each temple while reading one of my art textbooks.

No comments: