Saturday, January 2, 2010

Stripping

One thing I often miss about upstate New York is the warm folksiness of the people. Random conversations with strangers aren't too uncommon in the frigid north, while down here in Connecticut people seem less inclined to talk. Today, at the Stop and Shop in Fairfield, my perception of the people of Connecticut changed a little bit.

I finished placing all my groceries on the conveyor belt: pizza, salad, Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popping Corn, and other items when a heavy set man with glasses and a mustache got in line behind me.

“I thought I’d be nice and give my niece and nephew the ultimate gift,” he said to me, and pointed towards a DVD of Pixar’s Up.

“I’m a bit jealous,” I said, since I’ve been wanted to see the movie ever since I saw the commercials.

The gentleman replied, “I had to get them something they could watch. I don’t think they’d want to see Stripper Review.”

I was caught a little off guard, and then the man elaborated on how his niece isn’t allowed to dance classes with his girlfriend of six years. The reason? His girlfriend is a stripper and teaches pole dancing. It was a very awkward conversation, and all I could think of was this recent video I saw.

After a year, I have to say Connecticut is becoming an interesting place to live.

No comments: