Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Life, Your Entertainment

I think there might be something wrong with me.


I went home from work to pick up a couple things before an offensively long meeting and my street was blocked off by the police. A couple people got shot, which isn’t a terribly rare occurrence in my new neighborhood. This excited me.


My first instinct was to talk to people and report on it. This is the kind of hard stuff that’s missing at the newspaper I work at now. Sure, shootings happen fairly often in cities like Bridgeport, but each one is something that most people affected by it will never forget. There’s a story here aside from the obvious who what where when why and how.


The Connecticut Post described my neighborhood as “notorious for crime and violence” but I feel like the real story hasn’t been written yet. What about the families that live on Coleman Street? How do they feel living in a place like this? Did the absurdly high living costs of the county force them to live here(which is my situation)? What can the police do to fix the problem since the station is only a few blocks away


Maybe I’m just burnt out on long meetings about money. Maybe I’m just excited to have been affected by a violent crime, which really hasn’t happened to me before. All I know is that, right now, I’d love to pound the pavement and report on the streets.


Here are a couple articles on the incident.

No arrests in Bridgeport shooting

Cops probe Bridgeport shooting


1 comment:

Meghan said...

You raise some good questions - looking at it from the point of view of the families/residents on the street is a good angle.

While acts of violence are certainly not mundane, I'd call them sad and scary before I'd call them exciting!